Friday 4 September 2015

Université Laval


I'll just get straight to the point and tell you guys how much I adore this university, the campus is one I've never seen before. And no, I am not exaggerating. I am genuinely blown away by how much they have to offer to their students.

I'll try not to bore you all with too much background information but needless to say, some is malheureusement required! Université Laval is one of the biggest universities found in Canada, as well as the 'oldest centre of education in Canada, (4th oldest in North America) as Wikipedia informs us so well. It remains one of the top ten Canadian universities in terms of research and funding - which is never a bad thing. The university is found on the outskirts of Vieux Quebec, making it undoubtedly a pretty good location for us exchange students who want to explore. Right that was pretty much all the boring stuff, now time for my declaration of love to this university...



Where do I begin?



I'm currently doing five modules, four of which are in the French literature field, and an Arabic one. All my lectures are therefore in the same buildings, just two out of the various pavillons (buildings) that are scattered across the campus. (This makes my life so much easier!) The number of students varies for each of my classes, depending on the popularity of the subject I assume. Littérature pour la jeunesse for example is in a lecture hall with roughly sixty students, whereas Communication oral I is pretty much the equivalent of a seminar with 15 students.  



Something I find really different to our British system, and quite strange even, is the range of people in your lectures, the lectures are not divided in terms of year groups but rather degree programmes. Confusing right! As long as a student has taken the required modules for their degree programme (for their year), they are free to choose other modules in their field that anyone can take. I have classes with students who are in their first year, and some of who are in their final year. Something I am still trying to get my head around. 
In terms of lectures, I would've thought they would be rather similar to the ones I have back in London, sitting in a lecture room whilst listening to a professor recite their notes- which by the way, are full of words I am still clueless of- in a robot like fashion. (Not all the professors of course) However, I was quite surprised to see the difference in the style of teaching. The professors here are much more engaging, and very passionate about their speciality. I guess you could say this perhaps comes from the patriotism they have concerning their culture and history. As I had briefly mentioned in my previous post, it is something that is truly engraved within them. Not only does their enthusiasm make you feel at ease, but it also pushes you to want to share their passion. I am especially eager to start Littérature pour la jeunessea combination of contemporary literature, with the analysis of young people and the multiple characteristics belonging to their literature. Who would have ever thought that I would one-day share interest regarding literature? Canada is truly changing me. 



However, back to reality, each and every one of my classes lasts a total of THREE hours. Yes, that is three hours. As a matter of fact, I don't know if it’s possible for the brain to focus for that amount of time. Apparently we do receive breaks, but that is not a good enough reason! I think I'll be that student who dozes off after an hour. 



One last thing; and something I find incredibly cool! The entire university is connected through tunnels, meaning during winter, there is no need to be up on the surface facing the terrifying weather. Something I am definitely not looking forward to whatsoever.


Thanks again guys! I honestly hope you enjoy these, don't hesitate to give me your opinions. :)

These are the underground tunnels, they are full of art by various students


This shop has pretty much all the essentials you need as a student


From little grocery shops 

To hairdressers!



The first week is always difficult


One of the buildings where my classes take place

I love this pavillon, so pretty!




The Canadian flag, the flag of the province (Quebec), and Lavals flag!
Three very important flags.


The other building with more classes!





A lot of construction is taking place at the university, hopefully by the end of the
year, I'll be able to see the new Laval!
















No comments:

Post a Comment