Sunday 20 September 2015

A busy beginning to the term.

I feel like I haven’t posted a blog up for quite some time (the workload is quickly piling up), and I’ve been up too quite a bit too. So I’m thinking of condensing it all into this blog. 

The weather here has been absolutely gorgeous, I mean yeah, upon my arrival I did have my stereotypical view of Canada, it being the land of snow as we are all aware- however I did expect some warm summer weather of course, needless to say, I am genuinely stunned by this perpetual beautiful weather which will hopefully prolong itself even further. The sun makes everybody happy!

On the 5th of September, the first American football match took place at the Stade Telus, which belongs to the university. Now, I of course envisaged the whole thing before hand, the ambiance, the smell of hot dogs, the enthusiastic and in sync cheerleaders, the somewhat crazy supporters, and I’ll have you know I was spot-on. I felt like I was in an American movie! Except with a lot more beer, beer everywhere. Canadians and their deep attachment to it I guess. The game itself was quite confusing, in fact, very confusing. If I told you I understood what was happening, I’d be lying. All I know is the game goes on for a very long time (over three hours), and they pause continuously. It was a fantastic evening though.


 





























Believe it or not, I went apple picking! (The following Friday) I definitely unanticipated how much fun this would be, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. It was so different to what I am usually exposed too, and something I never thought I’d try. Yet there I was, picking those delicious apples. This took place at l’île d’Orléans, a beautiful vast area of land, about 5km east of downtown Quebec City. The owner had told us that their sole production was wine, (which explained the scattered vineyards) and that they also used apples. However, they were left with a bunch of left over apples and so decided to give the open public a chance to go apple picking. Indeed, a thoughtful idea. I arrived home with about three kilos of apples, so in the days to follow, my flatmate had made apple and oat muffins, and I made apple and cinnamon cake. Delicious, if I say so myself.








An exhausting day as we can see

Finally, to finish off, the university has a 
Ligue Universitaire d’Impro (improvisational league), which takes place each year. There are four teams, and each Friday evening two teams battle it out, both struck with unexpected scenarios. This was simply fantastic! I couldn’t believe how talented these players were. The entire set up was quite hilarious too- they even got us involved. (By throwing flip-flops at the referees if we were discontent with a decision of course!) The room was really packed, roughly 450 spectators turned up- the first match of the year is always important obviously.






















I tried keeping the blog assez brief, as I don't want this to become a boring read. A bientôt. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment